Monday, January 9, 2012

Know Your Power

Nothing about this journey has been easy. In fact, if I were to pick a word to describe this process, "easy" would not be it. But, I would pick one of the words I already used- a "journey", a "process", and on some days "a trip to hell and back" (more than one word, I realize) would be a more fitting description. The words "journey" and "process" imply that this is something with a beginning and end. These words don't indicate when the journey will end and begin, how long it will take, how many setbacks there may be, and how many times one might give up before reaching their destination. Just- beginning, and end.

It can be extremely difficult to think of this process as something that has an end to it-especially for those of us who have a chronic illness and have the odds stacked against us. I'm not a Doctor of Medicine, or some kind of guru, but I am a person who has experience with chronic illness-I'd like at this point to consider myself a professional in regards to "Laura's Chronic Disease" (can I put that on my resume?). I may not have the credentials to write myself a Rx that can be legally filled at a regular pharmacy, but I've been in the thick of it- I've been brought to my knees from pain, cried enough tears I've soaked my pillow, and, in the past year, have completely changed my diet and supplements (no more Rx medications!! None. Zero) by doing my research, listening to my body, and knowing myself. Remember- YOU have more power than your Medical Doctor. That's right. You know your body. Nothing you report is strange, nothing. A medication bothering your stomach, a food making you dizzy, feeling tired after a full nights sleep-these things all have a reason tied to them, and the reason is not that you are crazy.

Your body is an amazing, complex mechanism. Although scientists and doctors have tried to understand it, there are some things that go on within the human body that just cannot be explained. The body's healing abilities and the complex process that goes into this- cells, plasma, oxygen, enzymes, minerals- is yet to be fully explained and understood. The human body was designed to heal itself. It will do anything in its power to do so in order to keep you happy and balanced. Sometimes, in its attempt to fix itself, we can feel ill. This is not because our body is not working right, or because it is disagreeable- it's because it is trying everything in its power to fix us, but sometimes does not have everything it needs to do so. No matter the disease- chronic inflammatory, chronic infection, cancer-the body is doing it's best to keep us balanced and is pulling from every which way to do so. It is our job to feed it what it needs (healthy foods with essential vitamins and minerals) and to hydrate with clean water so it can pull from this fuel to fight off its invaders (disease, toxins, allergens, infection). I realize this sounds simple, and I don't mean to downplay any of our diseases-they are real, debilitating, and some of them have been with us for the majority of our lives-but, although these diseases are complex, the reason behind them truly is simple- the body is trying, with all of its might, to heal you.

Think of it this way- when you break a bone, it heals. Sure, you can put that part of your body in a cast to protect it, but even if you didn't the bone would heal. It is still not known how the body does this. So many different mechanisms and processes go into it, it just cannot be explained. We do not need to sit there and tell it to heal. We do not need to take medications. And we don't lie awake at night worried it won't heal. Because we know it will. The body will find the broken part and fix it. Sure, an individual can set it back into place, but the actual bone can only heal with the body's work.

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite books, "Quantum Healing" by Deepak Chopra:
"You cannot step into the same river twice, because the river is constantly being changed by new water rushing in. The same holds true for the body. All of us are much more like a river than anything frozen in time and space. If you could see your body as it really is, you would never see it the same way twice. Ninety-eight percent of the atoms in your body were not there a year ago. The skeleton that seems so solid was not there three months ago. Your skin is new every month. You have a new stomach lining every four days, with the actual surface cells that contact food being renewed every five minutes.."

Whew! Sounds like a lot of work. If your body can do all that, who are we to say we cannot heal completely? Let's give this temple of ours a little more credit.

You have the power to heal. You. Your bones, your heart, your cells. They are all rooting for you. So am I. Know your power. Healing is not just an option-with the right tools and a whole lot of patience, healing is inevitable.


**For a jump start on how to help your body heal, consider my favorite documentaries: A Beautiful Truth, Food Matters, & Forks Over Knives. These will be discussed in my next post and video, along with recipe suggestions and favorite foods and supplements.

A Beautiful Truth-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzDHGLEUyw

No comments:

Post a Comment